The 31st January 2021, tax deadline is fast approaching. Gathering together the information to complete your return may have been a long way down your to-do list during the unprecedented period of COVID disruption. However, there is no sign that the 31 January 2021 filing deadline is being moved and so, if you have not yet filed your return you need to act now, contact us at S Smith & Co and we can help.
HMRC guidelines are taxpayers must complete a Self-Assessment return if they:
- have earned more than £2,500 from renting out property
- have received, or their partner has received, Child Benefit and either of them had an annual income of more than £50,000
- have received more than £2,500 in other untaxed income, for example from tips or commission
- are a self-employed sole trader whose annual turnover is over £1,000
- are an employee claiming expenses in excess of £2,500
- have an annual income of over £100,000
- have earned income from abroad that they need to pay tax on
Additionally, HMRC have said:
HMRC is determined to help customers during this difficult time. We know many customers will have been adversely affected by the coronavirus pandemic or will need help to spread the cost of their tax bill. That’s why we’ve made it quick and simple to set up a payment plan to spread the costs and help people get back on their feet. It’s easy to do online and there’s no need to call us to set it up.
Once Self-Assessment customers have completed their 2019-20 tax return, and know how much tax is owed, they can set up their own payment plan to help spread the cost of their tax liabilities, up to the value of £30,000. They can use the self-serve Time to Pay facility to set up monthly direct debits and this can all be done online so there is no need to phone HMRC.
To set up a payment plan online with HMRC, please click here and you will be able to set everything up through your gateway account.