The Kickstart Scheme is part of Rishi Sunak’s “Plan for Jobs”, to get as many people employed in the UK as possible.
The Kickstart Scheme provides funding to create new job placements for 16 – 24 year olds on Universal Credit. Employers of all sizes can apply for the funding and there are no minimum job placement requirements to apply for a grant.
What funding will the employer be entitled to?
- You will be entitled to £1,500 funding per job placement. This is to cover set up costs and funding to support the young person develop their employability skills.
- You will be entitled to 100% of the National Minimum Wage for 25 hours per week, for a total of 6 months.
- All employer National Insurance contributions and employer minimum automatic enrolment contributions will be funded.
Job Placement Criteria:
The job placement created must be a new job, the placement must not replace existing or planned vacancies or cause existing employees to reduce their hours.
The job placement must:
- Be a minimum of 25 hours per week, for 6 months.
- Pay at least the National Minimum Wage.
- Only require basic training.
The aim of each job placement if for the employer to help the young person become more employable. For example, looking for long-term work, support with their CV, interview preparations and developing their skills in the workplace.
How to apply?
You can apply for a Kickstart Scheme grant by either applying online yourself or get help from a Kickstart gateway who is already working with the Kickstart Scheme.
A kickstart gateway can be any type of organisation, who will already have an agreement with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). They will gather information about the job placements you would like to offer and share this information with DWP on your behalf. They will also pay the funding to you.
Are you an employer and do you think you could support a young person in a job placement? Click here to watch Rishi Sunak explain the Kickstart scheme and how it can benefit employers and young individuals.
If you would like to apply for the scheme, click here.